dependencySets _within_module_binaries_ is only supported in 2.2-SNAPSHOT.
They are valid as a section directly within <assembly> in 2.1 though (not
that this will help you).

I'd highly recommend using 2.2-SNAPSHOT (very soon to be 2.2-beta-1). The
docs for it are the ones published on the website, though they're not marked
well (this is also fixed and awaiting deployment soon).

-john