Hi,

I'm fairly new to Maven2 and haven't used it much in situations more
complex than those described in the documentation. But now I have hit
an issue that I haven't been able to find much documentation on this
subject[1], so I wanted to confirm what the suggested best practice is
in this area and get feedback on how others are managing this area.

I have multiple SVN modules. Some of these modules contain multiple
Maven2 modules.

A simple example:

* SVN module common - contains a single Maven module of common utility
Java code, produces a JAR.

* SVN module webapp-A - contains multiple Maven modules, separating
out the layers of the application. The Core depends on the
afore-mentioned common jar as well as a host of third-party stuff. The
top level POM produces are WAR.

* SVN module webappB - Similar to webappA.

Currently, we are developing in the trunk and all of the dependencies
are on a 1.0-SNAPSHOT. Now we are getting to the point of requiring a
release, which should take the form of an installer at some point, but
I'll settle for a zip file with documentation at this point.

So, the route that I think I should follow is to create a new SVN
module that will contain a single Maven module. This should use the
modules webappA and webappB to get the WAR files and package that up
appropriately into a zip file. This module can also contain
JIRA-generated release notes, etc.

Also, I would like to use the Maven release process to interact with
SVN where possible.

1. Does the described process sound like a sensible approach that
others are employing successfully?

2. Is there a tool to help me do this? It feels like I'll have to walk
the directed acyclic graph manually, releasing each one and altering
POMs to reference non-SNAPSHOT versions. Given that I might have tens
of SVN modules, that feels pretty laborious.

Cheers,

James

[1]
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/How+to+handle+releases+with+multiple+SNAPSHOT+dependents