Paul Spencer wrote:

Armin,
I did not know about profiles.xml, but this does not meet my requirements. Since I used Continuum on a different server in addition to developers on Windows and Unix machine, the use of symbolic links will not work.

Indeed, my suggestion is not helpful in your particular case. The idea of having a "central" profile resource available in a development community sounds interesting to me. Maybe, you should formulate an improvement to maven such as being able to access a network wide profile resource via URL.

Good luck.

Armin

Paul Spencer

Armin Ehrenfels wrote:

Paul Spencer wrote:

I am finding that profiles are very powerful. As I make more use of them across projects, many of which are unrelated, I find myself copying a profile from one POM to another. Placing profiles in a POM the is extended is impractical because each change to a profile in the POM will prompt a release cycle of the POM and every project that extends the POM.

Thus my question, is their a way of importing a profile from another POM?

Hi Paul,
you don't need to import a profile. You can store it in a separate file called profiles.xml, located in the same directory as your pom.xml. Maven automatically looks for this file. If you work with an UNIX OS, you probably know symbolic links, so locating a single profiles.xml at a particular place and pointing to it from every module directory is very easy.

HTH

Armin