IMO, this is more along the lines of something you would expect from a
continuous integration server environment ie Continuum, Cruise
Control, etc.

Could you rig something with Antrun plugin or Exec plugin to send an
email as part of the release process? Sure.
Is this standard built-in M2 behavior? Not that I'm aware of.

Wayne