Don't know if this is the "correct" answer, but I have the same issue and here is how I plan on getting around it. Basically, split the top poms into one for inheritance (used in the <parent/> definition) and one for reactor/aggregation (defining the <modules/>). This is based on the observation that typically it is this "super class"-type information that I generally need to install/deploy separately; given this breakdown I can do that without installing/deploying all the subprojects.

gc134728 wrote:
Hey maven users,

I have a multi-module project architecture with at the top one pom.  This pom
contains several sub poms which contain sub poms ...  When i perform a release
on the top pom every project gets released with it.  How can i just perform a
release on the top pom without releasing it's subprojects with it?

One remark sometimes i do want to make a full release of top pom and all
subpoms.  So what I'm looking for is a property that blocks the transitive
release process of the maven-release-plugin.

for example : release:prepare -Dblock-reactor

Thx for any info
Yves
---
http://www.scarlet.be/