Wait a minute... You're asking about changing the default layout of
the LOCAL (ie c:\...\.m2\repository) repository??

I take back everything I said before -- this is NOT possible, and
probably will NEVER be possible. (As far as I know.) If you insist on
using this old layout, you must continue using Maven1. But I really
don't know why you care how Maven "internally" handles its own local
repository.

You can only configure the layout for "legacy" when dealing with
remote repos ie corporate repo, snapshot repo, etc.

Wayne