Well, I deleted my local repository cache and reissued the command and it
worked ... for a time.  Now, I'm back at this point again and specifying the
version didn't help (and I've never had to do that before).  This is very
frustrating, anyone have any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?  I think
this part is the key, but I just don't know what it means:

GroupId: org.apache.maven.archetype
ArtifactId: maven-archetype-quickstart
Version: RELEASE

Reason: Unable to determine the release version

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Craig