This exact same problem (essentially) was posted a couple days ago,
and I responded to it at the time, and I will give you the same
answer. I imagine you're running into exactly the same problem... If
this doesn't work for you, post back and we'll try to help more.

 to   Maven Users List <users@maven.apache.org>
 date  Jul 31, 2007 9:36 AM
 subject  Re: How to add dependencies in the POM.xml?

You simply need to provide the archetypeVersion number as well.

This exact error/issue is mentioned on the "guide creating archetypes" page:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html

"Don't forget to include the version of your archetype (if you don't
include the version, you archetype creation may fail with a message
that version:RELEASE was not found) "

mvn archetype:create                                    \
 -DarchetypeGroupId=<archetype-groupId>                \
 -DarchetypeArtifactId=<archetype-artifactId>          \
 -DarchetypeVersion=<archetype-version>                \
 -DgroupId=<my.groupid>                                \
 -DartifactId=<my-artifactId>

Wayne