Yeah its definitely Friday, I know that feeling...but I do not think
you are dumb, if you don't understand what I am saying, I am just not
communicating clearly enough:

The resulting pom.xml file I get after running "mvn archetype:create"
using the two aforementioned archetypes I mentioned above, in this
order:

1. Java6Archetype
2. JUnit4Archetype

As you can bellow the resulting pom.xml file in the Layered Test
project only matches that of the Java6Archetype, as the
JUnit4Archetype dependencies are not included in the pom.xml file.

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>
 <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
 <groupId>com.mooo</groupId>
 <artifactId>LayeredTestArtifact</artifactId>
 <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
 <build>
       <plugins>
         <plugin>