Thanks for the reply!

1) When I left the eclipse output directory as target MyEclipse got very
confused and I had a lot of issues, especially switching between eclipse and
maven builds.

2) No, I have not changed the maven output directories.  This still goes to
the default target directories.  We're keeping the "built by maven" output
(target/classes and target/test-classes) and the "built by eclipse"
(src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes) separate.

3) Yes, I have tried to get the exclude to work for the web resources, but
with no success.  All examples are for additional web resource folder, so I
wonder if that's got anything to do with it. (??)  Has anyone had any
experience excluding files / directories from src/main/webapp?

Here are some of the things that I have tried, none of which work.  :-(
            <plugin>
                <version>2.0</version>
                <configuration>
                    <!--
                        <excludes>
                        <exclude>**/WEB-INF/classes/**</exclude>
                        </excludes>
                    -->
                    <!--
                        <webResources>
                        <resource>
                        <directory>src/main/webapp/</directory>
                        <excludes>
                        <exclude>**/WEB-INF/classes/**</exclude>
                        </excludes>
                        </resource>
                        </webResources>
                    -->