I have another solution to this problem, which is not the maven way but works equally.

I have uploaded the file on a web server and accessing it from there:

Eclipse is using .checkstyle config to see the remote location of the configuration (there is an option for remote file) Maven is using the parent pom.xml to see the same remote location of the configuration.
    <plugin>
               <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
               <configuration>
<configLocation>http://www.someplace.net/scytl_checkstyle.xml</configLocation>
               </configuration>
    </plugin>

I'd prefer the jar solution though, is much cleaner.

houzecl wrote:
Yes, the last part of your post is what we'd like to do:

One mavenized projet holding a set of configuration files.
So that you can version, deploy, and access the jar containing the
appropriate set of rules.
We do not want to embed the rules inside the project(s) that will be using
the rules.
we want these rules to be common (as sun_checks).
Therefore, once the rules'jar is available in the repository, it can be
accessed by maven (no probs)
BUT how can you make it available to eclipse at the same time ? (do you
explode the jar in the repository when you deploy it ?, so that eclipse
checkstyle can reference the xml files ...)

anyway, I posted the question in checkstyle mailing list.
If I get an answer, I'll post it

good day,

Christian-Luc

Greg_Vaughn wrote:
I am using maven-checkstyle-plugin with a specific configuration file (I made it as a resource in a jar and the plugin configuration works
fine:
checkstyle - or the plugin - is clever enough to get the xml file out of
the
dependency jar)

I'd like to do the same within eclipse with the
eclipse-checkstyle-plugin
(so that checkstyle can be active during eclipse work, not just when
building with maven)
Unfortunately the checkstyle preference window does not seem to allow a
reference to a jar.
it needs an xml file
This is not really a maven question but someone may know if my request
is
possible ???
We did this last year, but the details aren't fresh on my mind. Let me know
if this general approach is not enough.

We attached the checkstyle xml file to the project so it was deployed along
with the jar file to our corporate maven repository. Since that repository
is available via http, we configured the eclipse plugin to use that url.

Now we have one mavenized project to manage the checkstyle rules. When we
deploy it, the checkstyle rules become available to both maven and eclipse
at the same time.

-Greg Vaughn

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with
this communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use
of the intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial
Corporation or its affiliates and subsidiaries. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of the
information contained in or transmitted with the communication or
prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error,
please immediately return this communication to the sender and delete the
original message and any copy of it in your possession.