Generally yes this means a complete undeploy plus deploy of the new
war, unless you've got some special J2EE server that does it another
way.

Schedule downtime or find a low-usage time to push your WARs, just
like everybody else. Ideally you're not pushing updates out to Prod on
a daily basis but instead using your Dev and Test/QA environments for
those types of builds, and then pushing bigger updates or emergency
bugfixes out to Prod.

Wayne