Check config file for the subversion. There you can find global-ignores
option, where you can set filtering for target and other non-maven files
(like IDE specific files).

I am following the procedure:

1) Create Maven project structure
2) Import to the Subversion (with mentioned global-ignores)
3) Now everybody can checkout
4) Every developer now can choose IDE (for example mvn eclipse:eclipse)

I don't use Eclipse plugins for Maven at all, because no one is good enough
for me.

I am using Subclipse as the SVN client, but import and checkout I am doing
manually (using svn command).

Regards,
Vanja