It is what I do when I detect the problem but it is a bit "heavy" to
lock the version for every plugin you use don't you think so ?
This is one of the advantage of maven that everything is working with
a minimal pom. IMO the alpha / beta versions of plugins should not be
updated automatically

Jean-Yves