Seeing that you build the 'other-project' as well, wouldn't it be easier
to just throw in a pom.xml in that directory and configure the ant-run
there? That way your project 'is' a Maven-project from now on! ;-)

I believe that's the easiest solution, because a pom-type-project
(parent-project) doesn't execute the compile-phase. You could try to
configure it in another phase that IS run by the pom-lifecycle, but I
still believe the 'small conversion' I suggested would be the easiest way
to go...