No, this is not a must... You can link either way if you want, but there's
several things you have to consider:

If you build the 'parent' and it does not contain the 'modules'-tag, the
children DO NOT get build.

Just play around with it a bit, Maven is very flexible in this way. I do
however believe it is described in the documentation, and pretty extensive if
I recall correctly...

--
Roland Asmann

CFC Informationssysteme Entwicklungsgesellschaft m.b.H
Bäckerstrasse 1/2/7
A-1010 Wien
FN 266155f, Handelsgericht Wien

Tel.: +43/1/513 88 77 - 27