> If you build the 'parent' and it does not contain the 'modules'-tag, the
> children DO NOT get build.

Yeah, we want to be able to build from either the parent (and build
everything) or from the child (and just build the child) but we need
the information in the parent when the child is being built. As a
result, it looks like we are stuck with the 2-way dependency (at least
according to what I could understand from the maven site and the maven
book).

In maven1 we created a plugin which would walk the source tree so that
the parents did not have to know about the children. The nice thing
about this is that you could drop a new project in the source tree and
it would get picked up and built automatically. All the children only
knew about one single master POM which provided them with a set of
properties and shared dependencies.

I think we are going to have to just be stuck with the tight coupling
in maven 2 though.
I would be happy to know I am wrong on this though so feel free to correct me.
:-)
-AZ