create a new web app project that just contains the demo code... depend on the
real web app... voila when you build it overlays the demo on the real app
war...

you need to be careful not to include dependencies in the demo app or at least
none of the same deps as the real app... you will see two versions of jars
appearing in the demo war
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:56:35 Chris Lewis wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a question regarding the final packaging of artifacts. Basically
> I want to exclude an entire (sub) package of class files - here's why:
>
> I'm working on an app (web) that contains a 'demo app', solely used to
> showcase visual components. The app project is actually a component
> library, and the app part isn't ever used in production. The demo app
> lives in a sub package under src/main/java, NOT src/test/java. The
> reason for this is because the demo app needs access to resources
> (javascripts, css, and images) that are part of the components, and
> naturally these resources also live in src/main/resources.
> Now if I move my demo app to the recommended place under src/test/java,
> then when I run my web app (jetty plugin) it fails to find the
> resources, since the tests never include resources from
> src/main/resources but only from src/test/resources. Keeping my demo app
> in the main directory allows it to access the resources.
>
> So now I need a way to strip the demo app from the final artifact,
> unless there is a way to move it to where it belongs (src/test/...) but
> modify the location used for resources. Any suggestions (links to docs,
> etc) are appreciated. I've read Better Builds ... and didn't come across
> anything of this nature.
>
> Thanks in advance
> sincerely,
> Chris Lewis