Thanks for the reply. I had something like this set up at first, but quickly changed it because I'm also working on the component library project at the same time. Any time I want to see my changes I have to mvn install that artifact and then (re)execute my demo app. On top of that, part of the components are JS and CSS whose changes I need to see immediately - without installing/stopping/starting the web app.

I can do all of this in my current setup, with the (unacceptable) side affect of having a test app in a production artifact. If there is a way to do this using a dependent project, can you direct me towards information on how?

Thanks,
Chris

Michael McCallum wrote:
create a new web app project that just contains the demo code... depend on the real web app... voila when you build it overlays the demo on the real app war...

you need to be careful not to include dependencies in the demo app or at least none of the same deps as the real app... you will see two versions of jars appearing in the demo war On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:56:35 Chris Lewis wrote:
Hello list,

I have a question regarding the final packaging of artifacts. Basically
I want to exclude an entire (sub) package of class files - here's why:

I'm working on an app (web) that contains a 'demo app', solely used to
showcase visual components. The app project is actually a component
library, and the app part isn't ever used in production. The demo app
lives in a sub package under src/main/java, NOT src/test/java. The
reason for this is because the demo app needs access to resources
(javascripts, css, and images) that are part of the components, and
naturally these resources also live in src/main/resources.
Now if I move my demo app to the recommended place under src/test/java,
then when I run my web app (jetty plugin) it fails to find the
resources, since the tests never include resources from
src/main/resources but only from src/test/resources. Keeping my demo app
in the main directory allows it to access the resources.

So now I need a way to strip the demo app from the final artifact,
unless there is a way to move it to where it belongs (src/test/...) but
modify the location used for resources. Any suggestions (links to docs,
etc) are appreciated. I've read Better Builds ... and didn't come across
anything of this nature.

Thanks in advance
sincerely,
Chris Lewis