In your situation, whenever you think you are ready for a release, I'd just
run release:prepare to create the tag, but not run release:perform
immediately. Then check out the tag, and run your manual regression etc.
testing suites against it. If minor things - like configuration or versions
are wrong, fix directly in the tag, otherwise just abandon the tag and never
release that version, fix the build and and release:prepare a new one - you
got unlimited number of versions at your disposal. Once you are confident
the tag's good, only then release:perform or just deploy from the tag.
Basically you always consider a tag a normally versioned release candidate
until you publish it into your distribution repository. This is what we do
in one projects and generally works well. After all, this is why the release
is a two-step process.

Kalle