Eric,

Anytime I tried to use a different approach then the 'best pratices' I
ended up in a worse situation.
IMHO you don't need a quarterly production release in order to use a
good development process.
If the work in a certain branch is done after 48 hours, that's fine!

I hope that if you really create a release each 3 or 4 week, you won't
have much paralel branches active.
It appairs to me that with 2 CI build (on the trunk and on the branch
for the current release) should be enough.
The result of this would be that at the end of each iteration, you would
need to create a new branch and re-configure 1 build-plan on your
CI-server each month. To me this sound better then checking out from a
tag and then manually changing the source prior to building the product.

According to J2EE development guidelines and common best practices, the
product you release should not contain any environment specific
configuration. If so, refactor that, so the number of builds you have to
products decreases by a factor 3. (Just 1 release for dev, QA and
production instead of 1 for each environment).

I know that I'm frequently more rigid then other developers when it
comes to procedures and best practices, so if you decide to incorporate
some 'work-around' it's fine with me. (At least as long I don't have to
work on your development team. ;-) )

Good luck with your problem and if you do find another good solution,
please let us know!

With kind regards,
  Marco

On 12/13/07, Eric Minick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Marco,
>
> I also tend to agree here as well and I think this would be a
> no-brainier if I was going to production quarterly. This particular
> project has minor updates going into production every week or three.
> That's border-line insane, but that matches the business needs. I've
> been at a number of organizations that work the same way.
>
> My concern is that branch explosion could be difficult to manage from
> a CI perspective as well as for developers.
>
> I again find myself asking for "best practices" without giving all the

> details. My apologies. Best practices always change a bit as you face
> different problems.
>
> -- Eric
>
> On 12/13/07, Beelen, M. - SPLXL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Eric,
> >
> > When I read your email I think it's more an issue for source code
> > management and versioning, then that it should be for maven.
> >
> > If you start the process of releasing a module, you could create a
> > branch for that version and then release some beta or milestones
> > (M1, M2, M3, ....., M10) from that branch and send it to QA. If QA
> > approves a certain milestone, you could check it out and adjusted
> > the version-number to remove the milestone identifier and release
> > the actual version.
> >
> > Changes to mainline code should be performed on the trunk so they
> > won't get in the way of you release and QA proces. Upon your
> > release, you should merge the changes from the branch to the trunk
> > and continue to work on the next release.
> >
> > With kind regards,
> >     Marco

QA)?