> 2) use version ranges in the parent pom. This way, the new version of
> the library is used by all projects as soon as it is available in our
> central repository. Much easier to manage, but it sound a bit scary to
> have it that much automated ... Other problem, we will loose build
> reproducibility ...
>
> I'll be happy to know how you manage dependency versions in large
> organizations ...

As you describe for my project ((900+ modules).
Parent version is defined for each projets and parent project defines
version range dependencies.

According to this :
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution#DependencyMediationandConflictResolution-Reproducibility
version ranges are removed when release is done to preserve reproductibility.

Damien