Thanks for your answer !

I have read some documentation on using dependency range, but I havent
used it in any real world project yet. The documentation I have found
sometimes makes me think this is a work still in progress. As you seem
to be using it in real world projects, could you please share a bit of
your experience ? Especially the following points :

* build reproducibility : do you find it easy to work on old branches
(already released) to patch them ? how much work on the part of the
developer to work against the dependency set that was used at release
time ?
* do you have any problem with non monotonic version numbers ? For
example, we release version 1.2.3 in production. We are now working on
version 1.3.1, which might have been released in test. Bug report
comes against version 1.2.3, we now have to release version 1.2.4 in
production. Does this poses problem with version ranges ?
* Is the version syntax sufficiently robust ? For example, most of our
projects use a 3 or 4 number version (1.2.3 or 1.2.3.4). Some projects
(usually the release "super-packages" that aggregate many other
projects) have a 2 number version (like 802.1 for the first release in
february 2008).
* do you have any problem with automatically jumping to the last
release of a lib ? Isnt it not enough control, too much automation ?

On the overall, I'm quite interested in the version range feature, but
I'd like to have more feedback before recommending that kind of
approach in production ...

Thanks a lot for your help !

  Guillaume

On 07/01/2008, Damien Lecan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2) use version ranges in the parent pom. This way, the new version of
> > the library is used by all projects as soon as it is available in our
> > central repository. Much easier to manage, but it sound a bit scary to
> > have it that much automated ... Other problem, we will loose build
> > reproducibility ...
> >
> > I'll be happy to know how you manage dependency versions in large
> > organizations ...
>
> As you describe for my project ((900+ modules).
> Parent version is defined for each projets and parent project defines
> version range dependencies.
>
> According to this :
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution#DependencyMediationandConflictResolution-Reproducibility
> version ranges are removed when release is done to preserve reproductibility.
>
> Damien

Jabber : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype : Guillaume.Lederrey
Projects :