Typically, one would have branches have a different version. For example, trunk would be on 2.0-SNAPSHOT, but the 1.x branch would be on 1.2-SNAPSHOT. A lot of this depends on one's branching strategy. If you use branches for teams or experimental features, then I would build a branch portion into your versions. A short code at the beginning of the branch version.

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
1.0-TEAM1-SNAPSHOT
1.0-TEAM2-SNAPSHOT

or

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
TEAM1-1.0-SNAPSHOT
TEAM2-1.0-SNAPSHOT

The above is a problematic strategy for branching, but it is used, and this way you have everything nicely separated. At some points, where we had non-version-oriented branching (experimental branches) we had a property set in the active parent (the one that all things got their versions from) that defined the version for itself and all children.

<project>
   <version>${providedversion}</version>
   <properties>
      <providedversion>1.0-SNAPSHOT</providedversion>
   </properties>
</project>

and then we changed it into <providedversion>EXP-BLAH-1.0-SNAPSHOT</ providedversion> for the experimental work that didn't follow our "branch for maintenance" strategy.

Christian.