> In order to save your fingers :-), you can use -DskipTests (with
> surefire 2.4) This will compile test classes but not execute units.

Thanx!  In addition to saving my fingers from typing, it seems to have
the effect that I don't get the dependency failures.

So... I won't have to try out any of the workarounds I pondered during
lunch...:-)  (either removing the <scope>test</scope> dependencies, or
locking maven-jar-plugin to version 2.1 in the top POM)

Thanx again!