>>> In order to save your fingers :-), you can use -DskipTests (with
>>> surefire 2.4) This will compile test classes but not execute units.

>> Thanx!  In addition to saving my fingers from typing, it seems to have
>> the effect that I don't get the dependency failures.

> Hmno... it seems to be stuck in the same sink hole it gets stuck in,
> when I try using -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore.  It gets a lot of
> compilation errors caused by missing symbols, and then the build just
> hangs.

The reason it got stuck was that many POMs had explicit
maven-surefire-plugin configs, locking to <version>2.3</version>.

A residue from a workaround from some earlier problem if I recall
correctly.

Removing those settings makes
 maven clean install -DskipTests
run through without failing (because it builds the test jars, and the
dependencies are satisfied, presumably...?).