I assume that's the case if you are with SVN (not my case, unfortunately
:-).
I thing maven should be "version control agnostic", so, if the parent is
found in the relative path, use it, if not (either if the parent is not
checked out or if it is not in the path from any other reason) search the
repository.
Erez.