VUB Stefan Seidel wrote:
Benoit Decherf wrote:
Paul Gier wrote:
Sorry, I was thinking you were using svn.  Maybe you should convert ;)
Yes, when I said the code is the same, I meant your project code minus the changes to the pom.

So maybe you would need to do something like
1. checkout the tag
2. make a branch
3. check the code from the tag into the branch
4. make the changes to the pom.

Then run your maven release.  I agree this is not a very nice process.

Why so complicated?
1. checkout the tag
2. run maven release
That will do. The release will package the files you've just checked out into the release and will tag these versions as the release version.
The release plugin change the SNAPSHOTS versions to official ones and commit the modificated pom. So it has to be executed on a branch not on a tag.

This process should also probably change the development version on the current branch(the trunk).
So the phases to execute from the release prepare:
 - create branch and checkout it (only if the from tag is available)
 - scm-check-modifications (not needed if the from tag is available)
 - check-pom (in the checkout version)
 - check-dependency-snapshots (in the checkout version)
 - create-backup-poms (in the checkout version)
 - map-release-versions (in the checkout version)
 - input-variables (in the checkout version)
 - map-development-versions (in the checkout version)
 - rewrite-poms-for-release (in the checkout version)
 - generate-release-poms (in the checkout version)
 - run-preparation-goals (in the checkout version)
 - scm-commit-release (in the checkout version)
 - scm-tag (in the checkout version)
- rewrite-poms-for-development This should be done in the current branch, not the created one. - scm-commit-development. This should be done in the current branch, not the created one.

The perform phases are not changed and are executed from the checkout branch.

Are you agree with it ?

Benoit