You could attach the common descriptor as a build artifact one module, and
then use the dependency plugin to pull it down to each child module.

i.e.

Use buildhelper-maven-plugin in rwcf-apps to attach dist.xml with a
classifier of, e.g. assembly-descriptor.
Now when you run mvn install or mvn deploy on rwcf-apps the descriptor will
be published to the maven repository (local or remote respectively)

Then in one of the modules that you want to use this common descriptor, add
a dependency on the rwcf-apps with a type of assembly-descriptor, you use
maven-dependency-plugin to copy the dependency to your target directory, and
then your pom just directs the assembly plugin to use that descriptor.

-Stephen