there are two sets of goals in the maven dependency plugin.

the first set are copy and unpack. you specify the artifacts inside
the plugin configuration. these are not the set you want. the set you
want are copy-dependencies (or something like that I am on my iPod so
you will have to check) with this set you add the dependency to the
pom. that will force maven to sequence things correctly for you.

the build helper plugin has a default phase, so leave that alone. I
would bind the dependency plugin to one of the generate phases
(sources or resources)

Stephen