Hi Simon,

Thx for the reply. I did define a custom pom, that declared the
dependencies, e.g.

common_dependencies.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>
        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
        <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
        <artifactId>common-dependencies</artifactId>
        <packaging>pom</packaging>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <dependencies>
                 <dependency>
                    <groupId>log4j</groupId>
                    <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
                    <version>1.2.12</version>
                </dependency>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>axis</groupId>
                        <artifactId>axis</artifactId>
                        <version>1.3</version>
                        <scope>compile</scope>
                </dependency>

</project>

but when I deploy this pom to the internal repository the dependencies are
stripped out and I am left with:

<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
  <artifactId>common-dependencies</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <version>1.0</version>
</project>

If I install the pom to my local repository all the dependency declarations
are still there. I cannot figure out how to install the pom to the internal
repository with the dependency declarations.

Also, thx for your insight on why this approach may be problematic. Can you
suggest a more appropriate approach for sharing common libraries across
several projects. For example, all the projects are going to use log4J so it
seems like it should be automatically made available to all of them.