I'm not 100% sure it's the right forum to ask question about releasing.
But since it's supported by the release plugin and since I'm trying to
implement my cycle with it, I'm gonna give it a shot!

I'm trying to use the release plugin cycle to support our applications
staging needs.

While I now have automatically configured WARs for each environement thanks
to the Resources and War plugin, I still cannot have them deployed in a
consistent way regarding the version numbering and the tagging of the SCM.

In our environment, the staging happens this way: a TEST release is first
produced. This release will be amended with bug fix and then promoted to a
PRODUCTION release.

When trying to implement that with Maven release plugin, I first have an
issue with the numbering since the TEST and PROD release must in fact have
the same version (but not the same name). This I can easily overcome by
entering the current version in the release:prepare phase.
But I'm wondering what's the reasoning behind the release plugin way.

The second point is that we have to modify the TEST release before promoting
it to PROD. But since it has been tagged in the SCM, it's not supposed to be
modified (at least the way I understand "tagging" a version).

Again, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the release plugin
functionning.
How can it accomodate a staging environment like mine (DEV->TEST->PROD)? Or
how can I adapt my environment to the Release plugin way.
Shouldn't it propose to branch instead of tag?

thanks for any feedback, I'm a little bit lost here :)

--nodje