Milos Kleint wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Dirk Olmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Milos Kleint wrote:
 > check the toolchains proposal that is supposed to address this issue.
 >
 > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains

 The way the toolchain proposal chooses is somewhat doable with Maven
 right now: define a set of VM specific properties in each developers'
 settings.xml and use that in the config of the various plugins.

toolchains also ensures that any plugin that understands toochains
will ue them, thus instead of configuring compiler-plugin,
surefire-plugin, javadoc-plugin etc. you just configure the toolchain.

But I would still have to tell the plugins which jdk to use from the toolchain config, would I?

 What I don't like about the appraoch is that one has to hand-maintain
 the properties/toolchain.xml still. If I update my JDK, I still have to
 remember updating the settings or the build will break.

oh well, what do you mean by "update my jdk"? the default jdk you run
stuff with on your computer?

No, it's about the various JDKs that are needed to do the build. Example: you need JDK 1.4 and JDK 5 for building, that's currently jdk-1.4.2.17 and jdk-1.5.0.15 on my machine. I use both JDKs to build the software, only one at a time.

I have to update the PATH, JAVA_HOME etc each time a JDK is updated (ok I'm on Gentoo so that's all done for my by the distro but for the sake of the discussion let's image I would be on windows). With the toolchain I don't only have to update my environment but also update the toolchain.xml and maybe even some more config locations e.g. netbeans' JDK config comes to mind.

-dirk