On 10-Apr-08, at 12:16 PM, Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to embed the maven engine in a java program?

Yes, but it is based on the trunk work. So many changes have been made in 2.1 to better enable embedding that it's not possible to easily backport it to the current release branch.

I think of using it as plugin management for an application.

You don't need Maven specifically for this as Maven is one implementation of the system based on Plexus and Maven Artifact. The best working example of this in my opinion is the Jetty Run plugin. It has the logic to grab dependencies, and create classpaths if you need something right now.

I want to define an artifact (my pointing to a pom or giving
an "group:artifact:version" string. Then I want maven to resolve, download
and add the artifact+dependencies to my classpath at runtime.

Has anyone tried it, yet? If not, will it be worth a try?

Thanks!

Jan

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.