Hi Joshua,

Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:
> In this setup, you still need to refer to the version of the parent
> pom, right?

Yes.

> We are just starting to use  multi-module pom, and are
> realizing that
> all of our modules are going to need to be updated with the parent-
> pom's version every time we release a new version. Is there any way
> around this?

No, not really. Forget about all those recommendations to use properties for
the version of the parent POM. This is not suppoerted and using properties for
dependency versions is discouraged. Use a project (or company) wide POM to
define the versions of your dependencies in a dependencyManagement section.
Then you don't have to set any version for the deps in your POMs. To refer the
global parent POM you might use simply "SNAPSHOT" as version for that. Each
time you like to release the artifact, you will have to replace it with the
latest release of the global POM. You may immediately return to SNAPSHOT after
the release then or keep the version number of the released parent until you
need a dependency with a newer version. With this approach all artifacts that
refer the global POM as SNAPSHOT don't have to be changed if you have to
release the global POM (using "SNAPSHOT" as the next development version).

- Jörg