Sorry, I didn't intend to mislead you. I was only trying to address
part of your question, the "how do I get buildnumber to put its number
in my artifact's name during the build" part, not the "how do I get
that artifact installed with that same name" which, as Wendy says, is
not possible.

Artifacts always go into the local repo cache using the groupId,
artifactId, and version you have declared in the pom -- it completely
ignores the finalName.

finalName is only useful for changing the name of a war/ear and then
pulling it out of /target to use it for something else directly.

Wayne