It's a bug in the war plugin. The resource filtering is seriously borked there, see here [1] for a bug report back from Nov 2007. The obvious and simple workaround would be to filter web.xml as a normal resource in a custom invocation of the resource plugin. But unfortunately there is a bug in the resource plugin as well [2] (open since 2006), causing it to not recognize a resources element in the plugin configuration.

Sometimes maven is no fun at all :-(

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MWAR-133
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRESOURCES-8

Henri Gomez schrieb:
I suspect something weird in maven-war plugin (2.0.2) since I get the
same error from m2eclipse which use maven 2.1 embedded