The problem comes from the recent Surefire upgrade. I found an issue in the
Q4E Jira explaining the fix but to save time I'll list it here. Force
Surefire 2.4.2 for now and the problem goes away. If you're using different
IDE integration that supports an external Maven runner then I'd suggest
using that over the below snippet. You can put this in your pom to force the
older Surefire plugin:
       <pluginManagement>
          <plugins>
             <plugin>