Another possibility, if you're not in a J2EE container and don't necessarily
have access to JNDI (or don't want to rely on server config vs. a
self-contained JAR/WAR) is to package all the environment configurations
together and use something like Spring and an environment variable to filter
a context or properties file.  I've found this to be very useful, as the
same artifact can be deployed in dev, prod, staging, qa, etc. without having
to re-build and risk potential differences in the artifacts.

Dave