From: Geoffrey Wiseman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 6/6/2008 5:14 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Moving from snapshot to release - how do _you_ do it

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:34 PM, EJ Ciramella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> When it comes down to release time, how are people migrating from
> snapshots to releases?  Our release numbering scheme has always been in
> a major.minor.patch.build-number format.  Toward the end of a release
> cycle, we build multiple times.  What I don't want to have happen is
> needing release engineering to spin each and every build by hand when
> it's deemed a releasable version (I'm very happy having CC spin up our
> other deployable units).  Plus, it gives QA the ability to say, "Found
> in build 1.1.0.27" and "Fixed in build 1.1.0.32".  Versus "Found in
> build 1.0-SNAPSHOT" and "Fixed in build <sometimestamp>".  Are people
> building/testing/etc by hand in release engineering?
>
> I'd love to know what people are truly doing.

I feel as if I'm missing something in this question, so if I'm answering the
wrong thing, lemme know, but basically we use version-SNAPSHOT for
development, then release using the maven release plugin, which'll deploy a
non-snapshot version and then move us up to the next version in line.

e.g, if I'm on myproject at version 1.1-SNAPSHOT, I'll do a release:prepare
(dry run), then a release:clean and release:prepare (not-dry run) and a
release:perform.

This creates and deploys myproject-1.1 (package, sources and pom), and
leaves me at 1.2-SNAPSHOT, unless I specify otherwise (like 2.0-SNAPSHOT).

Is that the kind of answer you're looking for?

  - Geoffrey

--
Geoffrey Wiseman