Now I feel like I'm probably missing something, but you do want to give some
kind of command to release the project, don't you? Releasing a properly
maintained build with the release plugin doesn't require "command line
intervention", it can be just another build target on your continuous
integration system (in fact Continuum even has a button for it). If you run
the release:prepare with --batch-mode, it'll use the default values for
version and tag (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/usage.html). But it
really depends on your project what the best release strategy is. We have
one project producing a low-level library where releasing is literally just
one push of button, and a few other ones consisting of multiple sub-modules,
where the release tag is created days before actually performing the
release, allowing people time to examine the tag and run longer manual tests
on it. All of the projects are using the release plugin and the time spent
on making release process more automated and smoother with it is well spent
in my opinion.

Kalle