Property expansion in ./project/version and /project/parent/version is not
supported by Maven 2 (and AFAIK will never be supported as it makes builds
irreproducible)

Yes, I know that it currently kinda works if you remember to define the
property in the command line or settings.xml... but it is not officially
supported

-Stephen