I tried to copy/paste the command line executed by surefire :

java -Xmx256M -classpath blablablablalba
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surefire17025tmp C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surefire17026tmp

As surefire executes, it seems the line is not too long (evn it is very long
;-) ) so that the class name argument is used by java to run surefire
booter.

I then get :

@HL
@HL-------------------------------------------------------
@HL T E S T S
@HL-------------------------------------------------------
@SLRunning com.capgemini.bios.gwt.client.ApplicationITest
Starting HTTP on port 0
   HTTP listening on port 1538
StandardContext[]Marking servlet shell as unavailable
[WARN] StandardWrapperValve[shell]: Allocate exception for servlet shell
javax.servlet.ServletException: Class
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTShellServlet is not a Servlet

I just remembered that gwt-user.jar contains a copy of the servlet-api, that
may conflict with my servlet-api.jar declared as a project dependency. But
removing this dependency did not change the bad result :-(