No, I don't understand how to do it either.  I just stepped out of a
meeting where we were discussing how we can deploy the same set of
applications (which _some_ share properties) across 10 - 15 different
environments.  Some environments have different configurations, some are
carbon copies.

There doesn't seem to be any maven solution to either/all of these
problems:

1 - Where does a property go (say db connection string) that's shared
between different applications such that there isn't duplication?  No
one wants to have to search/replace values in various profiles.xml or
pom.xml files (I don't mind, but others in the organization have
objected).  Here, since there are so many applications pointed at the
same db, that could be a dozen or so files that have the same db string.

2 - How does one deploy said generated application zip/tar file?
There's nothing I can see supplied in any plugin to support large scale
deployments (say, six app servers, four web servers, a db server, a
utils server and another half dozen or so third party servers).  We've
been using ant and a internally written shell script.

3 - How do people configure these things?  I've heard every answer from
"we generate a zipped/tarred up application file for every environment"
to "we use installshield and don't have to worry" and everything in
between.  We have in one environment alone, 6 jboss servers for ONE
application.  That ear that gets deployed there (and all it's supporting
files) even compressed in a zip takes close to 200 mb.  I'm not about to
generate 1200 mb worth of ear files with each build (sometimes there's
three or more built in a single day).

I feel like either there are different terms to describe these things or
no one is doing anything to this scale.

I'd love some feedback/suggestions as to how others are doing this.