These can sometimes be introduced by dependencies (though some of
these strangely seem to come from plugins that shouldn't be
introduced).

Using Archiva will help - you can have your Maven install locked to
using that no matter what repositories are encountered, and then use
the proxying combined with white/blacklists to control what comes from
which remote repository.

Cheers,
Brett

2008/8/11 Matt Milliss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> This question is really just highlighting my ignorance of how maven works
> but I've been unable to find this documented anywhere. The problem I'm
> having is mavens use of repositories, I know maven by default uses the
> central repo at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 when locating artifacts, I
> also have 3 more repositories defined in my settings.xml, these are
> http://download.java.net/maven/2,  http://download.java.net/maven/1 and
> http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/. As far as I understand these are
> the only repositories my installation should be using but what I find is
> there are others that I haven't defined that are being used, for example
> http://www.jfrog.org/artifactory/[EMAIL PROTECTED],
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository,
> http://repository.codehaus.org and
> http://commons.ucalgary.ca/pub/m2-snapshots. Where do these repositories
> come from if I haven't defined them anywhere in my maven installation? One
> of the reasons I'd like to know is I'm setting up Archiva to proxy these
> external repositories and was surprised to find these extra un-defined
> repositories in use.
>
> Cheers
> Matt

Brett Porter