John Casey-5 wrote:

> there's an open issue related to mappers in
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY
>
> That issue covers this functionality, and hasn't been completed yet.

You are right. This is the exact one:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-45
It looks like the sort of issue that won't get ever completed, because it's
too difficult.
I've been looking at the code too, and I am at a complete loss. Let alone
that I can fix it. Let alone even more that I can unit test it ;-)

I'm considering to put in a new JIRA issue, that's more to the point and
easier to fix. Would that be a plan?