(As I understand it...)

Before the Maven dev team pushes builds out to the general public,
they get pushed to a staging repo where they can be fully tested. Once
the tests are complete, the files need to be pushed from the staging
repo to the "real" public repo. This plugin makes the process easier
and reduces errors.

You can probably find more info about this plugin in the Maven Dev
list archives.

Wayne