On Monday 29 September 2008 10:59:48 am Jason van Zyl wrote:
> There is no rsync access to central. But the crawling is doing the
> equivalent amount of damage.

I was suggesting creating a new public mirror that would be listable on
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html
as a public mirror.   Thus, it could be "pushed" from central like the other
mirrors.      From there, people could rsync from that repo instead of
central or ibiblio or such.

> There is no upside to using rsync over a repository manager.

I disagree.....

For one, with rsync, if the network goes down, and an artifact that a
developer wants that hasn't yet been used is requested, nexus is useless.
He's still stuck.   With an rsync everything is available.   This HAS bitten
us.   We have several developers that work from home offices and thus have
their own repo manager setup or similar (or maybe don't use one).   They
develop stuff, commit some changes.   The nightly builds then run but due to
network hickups, fail as the artifacts couldn't be retrieved since those
builds are the first to ask for them.   Managers come running and screaming
saying "maven sucks" cause the build fail.   Anything that keeps the managers
from running to me screaming maven sucks is a good thing.   They don't care
about repo managers, rsyncs, etc....   They just want their builds to not
fail for stupid reasons.

Second, being a command line person, I like being able to login to the server
and do something like "find . -name "*.pom" | xargs grep "somestring"" and
such to find various things.  (I know, the repo managers have search things,
but gui's suck)

Third, httpd can run and serve static files on some very lightweight hardware
that cannot even begin to consider running java.   As such, it's much faster
than Nexus or others.

Finally, this is the most important thing to me, each "mirrored" repository
can be kept on a unique URL.   http://proxy/central, http://proxy/java.net,
http://proxy/apache-incubator, http://proxy/apache-snapshot, etc....   Thus,
I can be sure that poms that are checked in have the appropriate <repository>
entries that can resolve artifacts from their proper location in the absense
of any repo manager.    (Yes, Archiva can do this via the virtual
repositories.   Archiva is the only repo manager I would consider using
because of this.)

That said, there are a lot of advantages to using a repo manager as well.   I
admit that.   But using a repo manager currently does not meet ALL
requirements.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp