The main clincher is that we generally run all our sub-modules as children
of a parent super-module. That's only possible with the root approach.

or you define trunk/tags/branches per module-group instead of per project as
you would do for standalone projects ;-)

Thanks
Stefan

Andy Law wrote:
Stefan Fritz-2 wrote:
Hi all,

we are in the process of restructuring a subversion repository and "Mavenize" all projects. The main discussion at the moment is whether to have trunk/tags/branches on the root level or once per project.

root:
    trunk/project1/pom.xml
    trunk/project2/pom.xml
    branches/branch1/project1/pom.xml

project level
    project1/trunk/project1/pom.xml
    project1/branches/branch1/project1/pom.xml

First comment: Subversion doesn't care. You need to come up with something
that fits the way that you work best (I know that's no help!)

Secondly: FWIW, *we* use the root approach (with an extra level of parent
module). I have never had problems with checkin at the root level, although
some of my colleagues occasionally grumble about it. I think that this is
more a Netbeans-subversion issue rather than a subversion issue.

The main clincher is that we generally run all our sub-modules as children
of a parent super-module. That's only possible with the root approach.

I can't see anything that you can do with the project approach that you
can't do with the root approach but the opposite is not true (see above).
And there is nothing in your project approach that wouldn't stop someone
checking out and committing at the root level anyway.

Later,

Andy