> I've even tried the 2.5-SNAPSHOT, which is supposed to address this issue
> -- but still junit-3.8.1 rules the day. I guess its time for some ant
> tasks......

I fought with this for quite a while before giving up and going to the
source code (I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't run my JUnit 4
tests - turns out it was looking at the version of my JUnit dependency,
which I had removed because I was repackaging the classes another way).

Perhaps a look at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/surefire/tags/surefire-2.4.3/maven-surefire-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/surefire/SurefirePlugin.java?view=markup
will help illuminate what's going on?

- John